Sunday, November 11, 2012

Artist Spotlight: Crayon Fawn

Great vintage finds and crayon sculptures

So, Tamara, where are you located?
I live in Long Beach
 
What did you do first, vintage or crayon sculptures and What inspired you?
Growing up, my grandmother used to take me to thrift shops and antique malls all the time. That's how I developed an appreciation for things from past eras. Most of my favorite clothing and toys were from those places. Of course I didn't know what vintage was at the time, I just liked having cool and unique toys and clothing. Fortunately as I got older the music and culture I was into also had a vintage aesthetic. Naturally it seemed like the next step would be to sell some of my awesome vintage finds.
In my teens I would make more of a free form type of wax sculptures with colored candles. When I was going to CSULA for my Bachelor Degree of Art, I took a three dimensional art class and learned mold making. From there, I just combined the two ideas using crayons and that's how Crayon Fawn was created.
 
Where do you get your crayons from, are they donated to you?
Most of my crayons are given to me by friends and family. I am really lucky in that aspect. I have put ads out on Craigslist, but I have encountered some strange people that way so I don't do that anymore. But that's Craigslist Ha ha!
 
Are you big on garage sales or do you look more at vintage stores and flea markets?
I mostly shop and thrift stores or at estate sales.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment