Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hapa Artist's Spotlight: Filomena Ferreira

Hapa Artist's Spotlight: Filomena Ferreira

1. What or whom got you into making scarves?
“My aunt introduced me to the art of crochet when I was 15 years old and my first lesson was to make a scarf (because we were in winter season) with a simple pattern - chain and simple crochet.”

2. How long have you been making scarves for?
“I have been making scarves since I was 15 years old, but I've spent a lot more time making them these past 3 years. I'm always looking for new pattern or material to make them.”

3. What materials are your scarves made out?
“For the crocheted ruffle scarf the material I use are 100% acrylic or a composition of acrylic and metallic polyester. I also have specific scarves for winter time. For those I use 100% wool or a combination of acrylic and wool.”

4. How would you recommend taking care of the scarves? (Washing instructions, ways to store it, etc.)
“The scarves must be only and exclusively hand-washed. Use cold water, neutral soap, and dry flat, do not bleach. The best way to store the scarves is to hang them or lay them flat on a surface.”

5. What are some things you want customers to know about your scarves that you think is important to know?
“Scarves are soft to the touch, multi-colored and have a soft shimmer. They are great for both teens and adults. Can be use in formal and informal occasions. May be worn straight, looped, or coiled. And all are handmade with love, I think this is what makes the scarves I make so special!”

*Photo credit: Filomena Ferreira


Thank you Filomena for taking the time to do this interview!
Come into Hapa and see Filomena’s beautiful scarves!

No comments:

Post a Comment